Are you looking for the best healthy dog puppy treats available to buy on the market?
Many dog treats on the market aren’t the best choice for your puppy as they contain
artificial coloring, preservatives, flavors, and more that do more damage in the long
term than good.
You shouldn’t take any risks when it comes to your pooch’s health; after all, you want
him to live a long, healthy, and happy life.
In this blog post, we will go over some of the best dog puppy treats you can buy and
will review them in detail so that you can pick out the best choice for your furry friend.
So, let’s get started, shall we?
Any/all links on this site may be affiliate links, and if you make a purchase through one of them, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read the full affiliate disclosure here.
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Why Healthy Dog Treats Are Key, is a Better Choice.
Does your dog use his adorable face and puppy dog eyes to get you to give him
Well, most dogs do!
Some breeds, such as Labradors, have an insatiable appetite for treats and will guilt
you into giving them one…or two. So, before we talk about the types of dog treats
available on the market, we need first to address the elephant in the room.
How many treats are too many?
Most vets suggest that your dog shouldn’t get more than 10% of his daily caloric
intake from treats. Giving your dog too many treats may be one of the reasons why
he’s piling on the weight and getting chunkier with time.
So, you’ll have to learn to say no to those cute eyes!
Things To Consider When Buying Treats For Your Dog!
The chances are you love to spoil your pup with yummy foods that help keep them
active and healthy.
And that’s completely fine when you do it in moderation!
Healthy dog treats are an excellent choice for your pooch as they can help improve
your dog’s health and overall well-being.
When it comes to buying a healthy dog
treat, consider the following points:
1. Look for natural ingredients, avoiding artificial colors, artificial flavors,
preservatives, and more.
2. You can always make your dog treats at home and save a ton of money by
doing so–with this, you’ll also be able to keep track of all ingredients used to
make the treats. However, we understand that not everyone has the time to
make dog treats at home!
3. Closely look at the list of ingredients to make sure the treats don’t contain
something your dog may be allergic to. For example, my dog is allergic to
peanut butter, which is something other dogs love.
4. Make sure that the treats aren’t high in sugar or fat content, or else your dog
will start putting on the weight.
Keep in mind that dogs have their own minds, tastes, and preferences. While one of
your dogs may enjoy a certain treat, the other might not care for it at all. So, it’s best
to go for a smaller trial pack to check whether or not your dog fancies it.
Here’s a Quick Look at the Types of Dog Treats You Can Buy.
Dog treats come in all shapes and sizes.
This section of the article will go over nine types of dog treats you can buy for your
pooch. Take a look:
1. Crunchy dog treats
These crunchy treats come in various shapes, sizes, and flavors and are great
for younger dogs as they’re rough on the teeth. This includes hard and
crunchy treats, such as biscuits.
2. Soft treats
These treats are excellent for all dogs–especially older ones. They come in
various flavors and are very yummy to taste—these are fast to eat and digest.
3. Freeze-dried dog treats
These have grown in popularity in recent years and mainly contain a variety of
meats, such as chicken, beef, seafood, etc. They’re one of the healthiest
treats available on the market.
4. Dental dog treats
Does your dog have dental issues?
In that case, dental dog treats are exactly what you should go for. These treats
are soft to chew and highly digestible. Your dog will spend a considerable
amount of time chewing them.
The good thing about these treats is that they help clean your pooch’s teeth
and help maintain dental health. However, it’s always a good idea to keep an
eye on the list of the ingredients.
5. Rawhide treats
Rawhide dog treats are really controversial, but we won’t get into that in this
These dog treats are excellent for chewing and help reduce destructive
However, they contain corn starch, which is why they fall into the
Another thing to note about rawhide treats is that they can cause
gastrointestinal obstruction. So, it’s best to steer clear of them.
6. Animal bones
Experts recommend that you don’t offer your dog hooves and bones from
animals as they might end up obstructing your pooch’s GI tract.
popular in some areas, but people are now learning about their dangers.
In theory, these treats are one of the healthiest options available for your dog,
but the cons outweigh the pros.
7. Human food
Raise your hand if you’ve ever given in to that innocent loom on your dog’s
face and let him have a bite of your food.
I, myself, am guilty of this!
While most human foods are safe for your pet, some common food items can
be downright poisonous for your pooch. These include chocolate, raisins,
So, you might want to do a quick Google search before offering your dog a
bite from your plate.
I have written an in-depth article on What Food Is Not Good For Dogs which you can read here.
8. Diet treats
Has your dog been putting on weight?
In that case, diet treats may be the right choice for your pooch. These treats
are low in fat and carbohydrate content and can help your dog lose a few
You can read our article on Doggie Diet Tips here.
9. Pig ears
These fatty yet delicious treats are among the safest dog treats available on
the market as they contain minimal additives.
However, they aren’t the best choice if your dog is overweight or obese.
Best Healthy Dog Puppy Treats: Reviews and Our Top Picks
This section of the article will go over some of the best healthy dog puppy treats you
can buy for your pooch.
At a Glance: Healthy Treats for Your Pooch!
Before we go into the in-depth reviews, we’ll take a quick look at some of these dog
treats so that you can save time and quickly compare them.
Here’s a quick look.
|Best Healthy Dog Puppy Treats||Important Points||Our Rating||Price|
|Nutro Crunchy Natural Biscuit Dog Treats||● Excellent for all breeds and sizes.
● Come in various flavors, such as apple, banana, chicken and carrot, peanut butter, and mixed berries.
● Use non-GMO ingredients.
● Don’t contain any artificial coloring, preservatives, and flavors.
|5 Stars||Check now|
|Wellness Grain-Free Crunchy Puppy Bites||● Good for all breeds and sizes.
● Come in three flavors–Lamb & Salmon, Chicken & Carrots, and Soft & Crunchy Variety Pack.
● Grain-free and don’t contain any meat by-products.
● Made in the United States.
|4.9 Stars||Check now|
|Full Moon Organic Human Grade Training Treats for Dogs||● Suitable for all breeds and sizes.
● Come in four flavors–Chicken Training, Chicken Savory, Duck Training, and Duck Savory.
● Use human-grade meat.
● All-natural and high-quality ingredients.
● Made with US-sourced chicken.
|4.7 Stars||Check now|
|Zuke’s Puppy Naturals Training Dog Treats||● A good choice for all dog breeds and sizes.
● Come in three varieties, that is, Lamb, Pork, and Salmon.
● Tender and nutrient-rich treats.
● Crafted in the United States with high-quality ingredients.
|4.5 Stars||Check now|
In-Depth Ratings and Reviews: The Best Dog Treats for Your Pooch
We hope that the table shared above helped you in making your decision.
In this section of the article, we will take a closer look at each of the healthy dog treats on the market and help you figure out which one is the right choice for your pooch.
Let’s get started!
Nutro is one of the most reliable dog food brands on the market. The brand has been around since 1931 and specializes in cat and dog food. It is
well-reputed and is one of the biggest players.
Let’s take a closer look at these treats!
- These treats are rich in nutrients and flavorful, making them an excellent pick.
- They’re low in calories at 5kcal per treat.
- The brand uses high-quality ingredients to create the treats.
- The recipe doesn’t contain GMO ingredients. No artificial preservatives, coloring, or flavors are used.
All in all, these treats are an excellent pick for your pooch and definitely worth a try. They’re highly nutritious and excellent for training.
You’re bound to come across Wellness Pet Food in the pet food aisle at your local supermarket. The brand has been around since 1926 and is one of the safest pet food brands out there.
Here’s what you need to know about these treats.
- They use a grain-free recipe, making them a good pick for dogs with grain allergies.
- These treats are yummy to taste and come packed with
- They’re free from meat by-products, artificial colors, flavors, and
- They contain a natural source for DHA, making them good for your pup’s brain and eye development.
Full Moon Organic is a relatively new dog food company. What it lacks in experience, it makes up for in its quality. The brand uses human-grade ingredients to make the treats in the United States.
You can judge them for yourself:
- The best thing about these treats is that they contain human-grade ingredients that meet USDA consumption standards.
- They contain organic, cage-free chicken from the United States and other high-quality ingredients like flax seeds and paprika.
- Slow-cooked and made in small batches to retain freshness, nutrients, and
- They don’t contain any filler ingredients.
So, we feel that these treats are an excellent choice for your pup, especially if you want to buy healthy and preservative-free treats for your pup that come from ethical sources.
Zuke’s Pet Food has been around since 1995 and has gained a good reputation in the pet food industry. The brand creates human-grade and healthy food for dogs to nourish them from the inside out.
So, here’s the deal with these dog treats:
- These dog treats are made in the United States and don’t contain filler ingredients like soy, wheat, corn, etc.
- They’re designed for minimum absorption, digestion, and nutrient
- The treats contain DHA and EPA for your puppy’s brain
- The tender treats are great for your dog’s
We believe that these dog treats are some of the best healthy dog puppy treats you can buy on the market. They are high-quality, easy on the teeth, and low in calories.
Pet ‘n Shape is a relatively new pet food brand and came into existence in 2005. The brand is best known for its natural dog treats sold in mom-and-pop shops across the United States.
Let’s take a closer look:
- These dog treats are made in the United States with ingredients sourced from the US.
- They’re excellent for training and naturally delicious.
- The treats don’t contain filler ingredients, such as wheat, corn, or soy, which is excellent.
- They are savory and overall health for your dog.
All in all, the Pet ‘n Shape Chick‘s Sweet Potato sticks are a healthy and wholesome choice for your pooch.
And Now, Let’s Look at Some Natural Treats for Your Dog!
We thought about adding a bonus section to this blog post to share some cheap, fresh, and healthy dog puppy treats for your furry friend.
Let’s get started!
- Apples: An apple a day doesn’t necessarily keep the veterinarian away, but apples do make a juicy treat for your pooch. They’re packed with nutrients and extremely healthy for your dog.
- Green Peas: Some dogs love them, while others hate them! But sweet and crispy green peas make an excellent and oh-so-yummy treat for your pooch!
- Watermelon: Come summer, fresh watermelon makes an incredibly yummy treat for your It’s also a good choice if your dog is overweight or obese as it is mainly water and contains essential micronutrients.
- Carrots: Carrots are loaded with vitamins and beta carotene and make a yummy treat for your pup!
In addition to that, peanut butter, bananas, blueberries, sweet potatoes, etc., also make great treats for your dog however, check if your peanut butter contains Xylitol as this can be extremely harmful to dogs and is covered in our article What Food Is Not Good For Dogs.
All in All: Best Healthy Dog Puppy Treat.
So, what is a healthy dog treat?
When it comes to making dog treats, it is vital to think about your dog’s needs. If you are a dog owner, you should know that not all dog treats are the same.
The healthy puppy treats we listed in this blog post will provide your dog with all of the necessary nutrition he needs for him to grow and stay healthy and full for long, without putting any negative impact on his health in the long term.
If you have the time to spare, you can also make dog treats at home. However, it isn’t the best idea for people who already have a lot on their plate.
Check this out if you are looking for some Healthy Dental Dog Treats.
Would you like us to share some dog treat recipes with you? Let us know in the comments, and that’ll be our next blog post!
Remember, “May Your Home Be Filled With Love And Dog Hair”
Founder of Our Dogs World 101