Are you ready to train your dog or puppy? Your dog’s basic needs include proper training and companionship. It is important to start training your dog as soon as possible. First of all, dog training can look exciting, especially if it’s your first dog. The truth is that training your dog is a great responsibility. If you start it step by step, you will find that this task is much less difficult. There are a lot of strategies by which you can train your dog to improve his behavior. Here are some free basic dog training tips to improve the behavior of your dog.
The Importance of Dog Training
Training your dog is an essential part of being a responsible dog owner. Usually, the memory of a dog is excellent, and they remember what they see in humans even when there is no specific reason to do so.
- Training can make sure your dog is well-mannered at all times.
- It helps your dog to behave well with humans and other pets as well.
- Basic Dog Training is important for its mental health.
- A well-trained dog will never bark or howl unnecessarily when alone at home.
Training helps establish a positive and healthy bond between you and your dog, which means you get to spend more time with your dog.
This video shows what can be achieved with consistent and regular training, the results will amaze you!
It is also important to teach your dog indoor training activities to do when it is raining outside, and you cannot go for a walk or exercise outside the house. Remember that training should be consistent, especially if you have a puppy or a very young dog.
Improve Your Dogs Behavior
Understanding your dog’s behavior is very important as you can only deal with a pet when you know all about his behavior. It can help you to understand what your dog needs. Teaching different commands can also help your dog to understand what you want. Below are a few basic dog training tips you can start with;
- If your dog keeps jumping excitingly when he sees you or any other guest, try to greet him calmly to discourage jumping. You may even want to try ignoring him initially until he has calmed down.
- Chewing is a normal behavior in dogs, especially when they are teething. The best way to stop your dog from chewing your shoes and socks is to provide him with an alternative thing to chew.
- If you reward your dog with counter surfing once (Hanging around the kitchen area), it would be difficult to stop him. Try not to feed your dog anything when you are cooking or preparing food.
- Dogs usually bark when they are bored, need exercise, or are afraid of other dogs. Teach a “quiet” command to stop them from unnecessary barking. Remember to reward them if the bark is warranted, i.e., an unwanted visitor, etc.
Basic Dog Training Tips & Commands
Sit, stay, come, and heel are the first basic training commands that your dog or puppy should be skilled at, and the correct training methods will make your dog a joy to own.
- SIT – The way most other trainers and I train this behavior is to hold a treat just above the dog’s nose. While giving the command, sit, slowly move the treat backward toward the top of the dog’s head, and with the other hand, slowly apply pressure to your dog’s rear end. Praise and treat your dog once the command is completed.
The next of the basic dog training tips is the command STAY & COME. These commands should be trained when your dog has learned the command sit. As for the start of your basic dog training, you will be putting your dog into this position to stay.
- STAY & COME – Have your dog go into the sit position, and when they do this, reward with a treat. Next, you will give the command stay, and as part of the initial basic training, I would suggest raising one hand as you would in a stop gesture. Slowly move a small distance away, drop the hand and at the same time give the command come. When your dog comes to you, that’s when you can reward them. You then continue to increase the distance as they start to get better with this command.
Have you ever seen those poor people being walked by their dogs?
There is nothing worse or more frustrating than your dog taking you for a walk, dragging you from one place to another. Yes, there are many training collars to assist with this behavior, the leader, the Halti, and the harness, to mention a few. However, if the HEEL command is incorporated into your basic dog training at a very early stage, you will never need these types of collars or training aides.
So how do you train your dog to heel?
- HEEL – You must start with your dog on a very short leash, one that keeps your dogs head just at your side. With this training tip, I will always have a bumbag on me loaded with the dog’s favorite treats and what I will do is to have a treat in the hand, not holding the leash at a place where I want my dog to be when in the heel position. Start walking with the command heel, and whenever your dog is in the position you want them, reward them with a treat. If they start to pull away, bring them back into position with the command heel and reward.
Basic Dog Training Tips – After Sit, Stay, Come & Heel
- Due to the short attention span of a dog, keep your training sessions brief.
- Always use the same words or commands to avoid confusion.
- Always praise and appreciate your dog or reward him when he obeys your command.
- Never force your dog to be trained physically.A dog that is forced to be trained will not enjoy training and will see training as something that is not fun. Remember, keep your training fun as your dog will enjoy this.
- Never try to teach your dog in a public area initially. Always start from your home or garden first.
- Your dog must be aware of his name before anything else. It will make it so much easier for the dog to obey your commands.
- Say “no” to jumping right away. Turn your back on the dog when he’s jumping to discourage this behavior and wait until the positive result.
- Don’t forget to tell “Good Dog” when your dog does something you like. For example, sit, lie down, behave, or heel. As well as treats, dogs LOVE praise from you. Remember, they see you as the pack leader, and praise from the pack leader is a great reward.
Dogs Are One of The Greatest Pets We can Own
“Dogs are one of the few animals that are considered intelligent, but we are surprised that, despite the racial differences, dogs share some of their owners’ mental abilities.” said researcher and author Claudia Fagaza.
Dog owners usually feel frustrated when their dog behaves well at home but doesn’t act accordingly in public places. Try to train your dog in varied environments, for example, in a park or a crowded beach. Make sure you understand the body language of your dog to improve the training. As dogs cannot communicate verbally, they always try to deliver a message through eyes or body language. Treat your dog just as you want to be treated or just as you treat a kid. Do you want your boss to yell at you when you do something wrong at work? No? the Same goes for the pet when you are training them.
In short, it becomes so easy to train a dog when you are aware of the different behaviors of the dog. Dogs are one of those pets that learn very early and easily if you invest some quality time. These four-legged family members play an important role in our everyday life, so proper training of these individuals is vital for themselves and society to avoid any harmful situation.
Please feel free to comment on this article and ask any questions you may have regarding your dog’s basic training or any other topics you would like to know more about regarding your dog.